BS in Health Studies – Health Informatics
Graduates with a bachelor of science (BS) degree in health studies and health informatics learn how the health industry operates while also learning how to store and analyze information for healthcare facilities. The double background acquired with a BS in health studies and health informatics prepares students for a career in healthcare administration as a medical health services manager, healthcare information manager or healthcare administrator. Students will study data analysis, patient record storage, ethics and law, business administration, medical coding and more.
Requirements for Earning a BS in Health Studies/Health Informatics
Requirements to become a medical healthcare services manager can vary by state. Successful students generally complete the following steps:
- Earn proper bachelor’s degree (requirements vary by state). Students with a bachelor’s degree in health studies/health informatics can pursue an administrative health informatics career.
- Earn proper master’s degree (requirements vary by state). Students can move to the managerial or executive officer level with a master’s degree in health information management or health services administration.
- Continuing education/skills. Fast-changing technology requires health informatics professionals to pursue continuous education in order to remain competitive. Employers, hardware and software vendors, colleges and universities as well as private training institutions offer continuing education courses to help workers learn the latest technology skills.
- Acquire certification. Health studies/health informatics degree holders can pass an exam to earn certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator from the American Health Information Management Association.
Average Salary and Career Data
The expected salary, career growth, and work environment for a health studies/health informatics degree holder working as a medical healthcare services administrator is as follows:
- Health Studies Informaticist – Median expected salary: $80,240, according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Job Prospects – Employment is expected to grow faster than average because of the continued computerization of patient records as well as the increased need for efficiency and cost control due to insurance companies and Medicare’s demand for high levels of accountability, according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Job Setting – Medical healthcare services managers can pursue their careers in hospitals, private practices, nursing care facilities, home healthcare services and outpatient care.
Job Duties and Responsibilities for a Health Studies Informaticist
A health studies informaticist is typically responsible for the following job responsibilities:
- Maintenance and security of all electronic patient records.
- Staying well-informed on the most current computer and software technology.
- Ensuring databases and computer systems are complete, accurate and available only to authorized personnel.
- Create information policies and procedures that help keep health care facilities running efficiently and cost effectively.
- Utilizing information technology to support healthcare decision-making.
BS in Health Studies – Health Informatics Degrees Online
- Walden University — BS in Health Studies – Health Informatics
Featured Master's in Healthcare Informatics Programs
Health informatics is the study of how technology, particularly artificial intelligence, computer science, and informational science relates to the medical field. This field of study is typically applied to clinical care, nursing, public health, and biomedical research. The universities and colleges listed below offer online master's degree programs in this subject
|| Capella University's online master's in Health Care Informatics integrates information science, computer science, social science, and health care to give you the skills and knowledge you need to help your organization improve the overall quality of health care and population health, along with reducing costs.
||Students studying in Walden's health informatics master's degree program will learn the basic skills required to use advanced technology in the healthcare industry, specifically applying health informatics to improve the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses. Walden also offers two informatics tracks in the MSN program: an RN-MSN track and a BSN-MSN track.
||America's largest online christian university, Grand Canyon University, offers a Master of Science in Health Care Informatics degree that provides students with knowledge of the concepts of systems life cycles, data management, and health informatics. Graduates of this program will be well suited for a career as a medical technologist or other upper-level healthcare professional. For students looking for a nursing-focused informatics degree, GCU offers an MSN in Informatics program.
||The Master of Science in nursing informatics from Kaplan University enriches student's knowledge of dealing in technology-rich healthcare environments. Graduates of this program will be eligible to become nurse practitioners and will be able to pursue informatics leadership roles in healthcare, business, and education settings.
Looking for a health informatics degree?
Fill out this short form below, and we'll help match you to a college program that suits your interests, whether online- or campus-based.