MSN in Nursing Informatics
When students get a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), they can be certified as an advanced practice nurse, which qualifies them for higher-paying jobs. Most MSN programs require students to specialize in one area of medicine, and if they are interested in technology, one area they can choose is nursing informatics. The field of informatics focuses on gathering, analyzing, organizing, storing, and sharing information in the most clear and accurate ways possible. Students collaborate with other healthcare professionals in this field to help the facility run more smoothly, work on research projects that really make a difference in modern medicine, or keep patient records safe and accurate.
Requirements for Earning an MSN in Nurse Informatics
Requirements to become a nurse informaticist can vary by state. Successful students generally complete the following steps:
- Earn proper bachelor’s degree (requirements vary by state). A BS in health informatics is the minimum education requirement for health information managers.
- Earn proper master’s degree (requirements vary by state). Master’s degree graduates can oversee the information systems work of a staff of health informatics professionals.
- Earn credentials. Health informatics graduates can take the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) certification exam to become a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA).
Average Salary and Career Data
The expected salary, career growth, and work environment in nursing informatics might include:
- Job Prospects – Employment is expected to grow faster than average because health informatics professionals will continue to be needed to oversee the computerization of patient medical records, according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Job Setting – Nurse informaticists find employment in hospitals, private practices, home healthcare services, nursing care facilities as well as in outpatient care.
Job Duties and Responsibilities for a Nurse Informaticist
A nurse in the health informatics field is typically responsible for the following job responsibilities:
- Ensuring the accuracy of patient’s records, reviewing for completeness and entering data into records, such as demographic information, history and treatment of disease, and diagnostic procedures.
- Keeping up with current computer and software technology as well as legislative requirements for patient records security.
- Creating information policies and procedures to ensure health care facilities run as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
- Coordinating the implementation, design and maintenance of clinical information systems.
- Working with IT to guarantee the effective integration of clinical systems with other institutional applications.
MSN in Nursing Informatics Degrees Online
- Grand Canyon University — MS in Nursing – Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- Kaplan University — MS in Nursing – Nursing Informatics
- University of Phoenix — MSN – Informatics
- Walden University — BSN to MSN – Informatics
Featured Master's in Healthcare Informatics Programs
Health informatics is the study of how technology, particularly artificial intelligence, computer science, and informational science relates to the medical field. This field of study is typically applied to clinical care, nursing, public health, and biomedical research. The universities and colleges listed below offer online master's degree programs in this subject
||Bryan University provides students with the opportunity to obtain a respected Master's degree in Health Informatics at their convenience. Students will gain the knowledge and skills needed for creating solutions and data analysis related to health care administration and delivery. The program is ideal for those seeking to enter managerial roles in their healthcare settings.
||Students studying in Walden's health informatics master's degree program will learn the basic skills required to use advanced technology in the healthcare industry, specifically applying health informatics to improve the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses. Walden also offers two informatics tracks in the MSN program: an RN-MSN track and a BSN-MSN track.
||Capella's MS in health information management degree program is a masters-level program geared toward teaching students about how databases, information systems, data analysis, strategic management, and essential IT and business topics integrate with the healthcare industry.
||America's largest online christian university, Grand Canyon University, offers a Master of Science in Health Care Informatics degree that provides students with knowledge of the concepts of systems life cycles, data management, and health informatics. Graduates of this program will be well suited for a career as a medical technologist or other upper-level healthcare professional. For students looking for a nursing-focused informatics degree, GCU offers an MSN in Informatics program.
||The Master of Science in nursing informatics from Kaplan University enriches student's knowledge of dealing in technology-rich healthcare environments. Graduates of this program will be eligible to become nurse practitioners and will be able to pursue informatics leadership roles in healthcare, business, and education settings.
Looking for a health informatics degree?
Fill out this short form below, and we'll help match you to a college program that suits your interests, whether online- or campus-based.